[gambit-list] REPL via TCP/IP

vasil vasil.s.d at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 22:18:57 EDT 2009

Marc Feeley wrote:

> Nice!  I have two comments:
>
> 1) You should use the new more user-friendly notation to pass the host
> and port parameters, i.e. "localhost:6000", or ":6000", or "localhost"
> as the server-address parameter.
>
> 2) I'm not sure why you need to patch _repl.scm... if you need access to
> macro-thread-repl-channel-set! you can (include "~~lib/_gambit#.scm") .
> Doing this would make it easy to use your code from a pristine gsi.
>
> Marc

1) Done

2) Thanks for reminding :) I forgot to look at _gambit#.scm at all.
   Done.

3) But patch for _repl.scm is still required :(. In order to properly
close connection on return from repl to continuation, I make one extra
optional parameter in ##repl-within. This parameter is used to pass lambda,
which is used to close network connection and clean-up. And I made some
changes to ,v command behaviour to save repl-channel and to restore it.

See attached file.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

PS: Today I've tested rrepl on several computers running termite (I
slightly changed termite base exception handler). And found this
way of debugging remote threads very useful. Especially
repl-within-tcp-client-start!
May be later I make changes in emacs gambit.el to handle incoming
connections and starting debugging with source files.

Vasil