[gambit-list] calling scheme from C

David St-Hilaire sthilaid at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jun 15 10:30:59 EDT 2009

Bradley Lucier wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>

>> One remaining issue... what should be the default gsc option?
>> Currently it is -dynamic, but for consistency with other compilers,
>> and in particular C compilers, perhaps the -exe option should be
>> the default.  That way you can do:
>>
>>    % gsc foo.scm
>>    % ./foo
>>
>> and to get a dynamically loadable library you will have to do:
>>
>>    % gsc -dynamic foo.scm
>>    % gsi foo
>>

> I think with dynamic languages like Scheme and Lisp with a REPL and a
> large runtime, the default should remain -dynamic.

I would like to agree with Brad. Scheme users, especially new ones,
should be encouraged to used dynamicly compiled sources, and the good
way of encouraging them (or let them know it exists) is to have this as
the default compilation format. :) This should encourage dynamic
development, which is at the core of languages like Scheme!

Having the -exe flag will sure simplifies the standalone executable
build process though! hehe Thanks Marc!

David