[gambit-list] Gambit compiling from Source

vasil vasil.s.d at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:17:41 EST 2009

Hi!

Last versions of Gambit are stable.

follow next instructions (for Linux):

get source code here:
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.5/source/gambc-v4_5_3.tgz

unpack it:
  tar -xzf gambc-v4_5_3.tgz

configure it:

if you have fast computer with lots of memory (i need more than 6 Gig on
my 64 bit desktop to compile gambit with this options):

  ./configure --enable-gcc-opts --enable-single-host

otherwise:

  ./configure --enable-gcc-opts

make all sources:

  make

and install:

  sudo make install

and you'll get two main programs installed: gsi and gsc.
gsi - interpreter and gsc is compiler scheme-to-c and c-to-obj via gcc.

Use gsi to learn basic features of scheme.

I may recommend next books to read:
1. SICP
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
2. Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
www.ulb.ac.be/di/rwuyts/INFO020_2003/vanRoyHaridi2003-book.pdf
3 Concrete Abstractions
http://gustavus.edu/+max/concrete-abstractions.html
4. How to design programs