[gambit-list] Advice on structure serialisation

James Long longster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:31:12 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Alex Queiroz <asandroq at gmail.com> wrote:

>     So you would keep the old structure, with the same id, and create
> for instance a new type game-state-2, with a different id, and a
> converter procedure update-game-state-1->2?

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we are basically
dealing with the same problems as SQL schema evolution.  It's a hard
problem.  I suppose you would have to keep all the old structures
laying around.  You could only rename old structures though, and keep
the current one the same name.  The update functions are equivalent to
SQL "patches" which sequentially patch a database to produce a final
updated schema.  It's an annoying solution, but if you want to keep
backwards compatibility, I can't think of anything else.

If you don't care about throwing away old game states, then simply
changing the id would work.

- James