[gambit-list] Re: Re: How to create small standalone executable with Gambit-C?

Adrien Piérard pierarda at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Aug 17 23:01:24 EDT 2009

2009/8/18 peter lo <peter19852001 at yahoo.com.hk>:
> and honestly when we intend to distribute executables, we do not want to leave out users using Windows.)?

It hurts me to say that, but size really isn't important anymore,
*especially* when targetting desktop OS's like Windows, is it?r

On the other hand, it would be welcome to have a flavor of Gambit
which is less expressive. I do not know how burdensome it would be to
be able to prune whole parts of gambit to create "non
development-ready" applications (that is, once the final product is to
be delivered, compile it with a version of gambit which does not embed
the whole runtime, does not allow debugging, etc).
Or, maybe, allow the user to explicitely tell what he needs to import

(declare
 (with-great-power-comes-great-responsability
    ;; EVAL's environment should only know those, should it be used
    read current-input-port current-output-port char=? list + - /*))

(define (arithmetic-evaluator)
  ...)

(eval '(car '(1 2))) ;; segfault. You should've added CAR too. Don't
complain to us.

Even though this is far from complete, this may be a compromise. (And
this is in favor of giving a seconde parameter to EVAL, if the user
has the capacity to create environments).

So, forgiving the fact that I am not an expert language implementer,
how realistic are those ideas for Gambit-C?

P!

--
Français, English, 日本語, 한국어