[gambit-list] How to create small standalone executable with

Oisín denpashogai at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:41:11 EDT 2009

2009/8/17 Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu>:
> The "mainstream" computer at my house with the least memory (a
> four-year-old iMac G5) has 1.5GB of memory, so a 3MB "footprint" for
> Gambit is about .2% of the memory of the machine.
>
> I have a few Gumstix computers lying around (about the size of my
> longest finger) that have 64MB of memory, so 3MB is about 5% of the
> total RAM.
>
> I can't say that making Gambit's minimal memory requirements
> tremendously smaller is a high priority of mine.

But quite a lot of people are interested in using Gambit on mobile
devices with very limited memory and/or filesystem space (e.g. iPhone,
or my old Palm T3, although that was asking a bit too much, having to
compile to 68k, small section code even though the machine was
ARM-based :/).

So if there was a relatively painless way to get all the lovely
efficiency and other benefits of modern Gambit, but cut away some
unneeded stuff for deployment to low memory platforms, that would be
very sexy indeed. I'd try to do it, if I wasn't rubbish at Scheme :D

Oisín