[gambit-list] Help With Memory

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 20:06:36 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Alex Shinn <alexshinn at gmail.com> wrote:

> continuations.  Specifically, in answer to the original
> question, you can't get notably faster code with manual CPS
> than with call/cc in Chicken.

But you can get notably faster code in many other implementations. Secondly,
the use of *explicit CPS* is not the same issue as 'manual CPS'. Sometimes
passing continuations explicitly is a good thing: it can clarify
control-flow and promote type coherence. Both of these can be exploited to
produce faster code as well.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of call/cc. But it is a *big* gun and it
is silly to use it for relatively simple things when a trivial code
rearrangement will also produce code that is more sound, easier to reason
about, and potentially faster.

david rush
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt