[gambit-list] [offtopic]Cygwin (WAS RE: Mercurial -> git)

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Thu Oct 9 20:18:40 EDT 2008

Nathan Thern wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM, David Rush <kumoyuki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ... And please don't say "cygwin" -
>> it's just *too* painful.
>
> I gotta disagree with you there. As a small cog in a mind-numbingly
> large machine, I don't have a choice about using windows. Cygwin is
> what makes using windows bearable for me. It has its warts, but it is
> amazingly successful in its goal of providing a *nix/POSIX API. I
> certainly wouldn't call it "painful".

I would, actually.  Maybe I just bang on it harder than you do, but
every single time I try to use cygwin for something, I get mysterious
crashes and strange results.

That having been said, for those "cog in a large machine" moments, I
find that VirtualBox running Linux with a shared folder pointing at my
dev space solves the problem just as well and doesn't give me that
"slightly broken" aftertaste that Cygwin does.

I've been using VirtualBox and/or VMWare a *lot* lately to route around
the brokenness of Windows.

-a