[gambit-list] Cygwin (WAS RE: Mercurial -> git)

Nathan Thern nthern at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:47:27 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM, David Rush <kumoyuki at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... And please don't say "cygwin" -
> it's just *too* painful.

I gotta disagree with you there. As a small cog in a mind-numbingly
large machine, I don't have a choice about using windows. Cygwin is
what makes using windows bearable for me. It has its warts, but it is
amazingly successful in its goal of providing a *nix/POSIX API. I
certainly wouldn't call it "painful".

BTW, I have an unofficial gambit package for cygwin. Point cygwin's
setup.exe to http://www.liquid.spod.org/~nthern/cygwin/
I don't have to patch the source, but in order to get shared libraries
to work right I hijack gcc with a libtool wrapper script. Gambit
compiles OTOB on cygwin, but you get static libs only.

regards,
Nate T