[gambit-list] Strategies on decreasing executable size for Gambit-based software for client distribution

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 05:37:20 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I've thought about implementing a "tree-shaker" solution which would
> be closer to what you want.  ...  I'm not planning to try this
> anytime soon but it should not be too hard to do

I've had the same feeling at least half-a-dozen times over the last  10 or
15 years ever since I first encountered a tree-shaker for Smalltalk
image-size reduction. Fortunately the hardware guys have kept ahead of my
urge to reduce resource usage, and I've never quite gotten around to
implementing a shake pass for S2 - which was one of my goals for writing it
in the first place.

IIRC, Stalin shakes the tree, but then you have to live with the Stalin
dialect as well (which I don't have a problem with, but not everybody feels
that way).

david rush
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt