[gambit-list] location of libgambcgsi.so

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Nov 30 08:37:38 EST 2008

On 30-Nov-08, at 7:39 AM, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> if so, then the first compilation is redundant.

It is redundant unless your system needs it!  Probably redundant on
most systems, but it is a quick operations (a few seconds to relink).

> Delaying linking until after
> install is incompatible with installing into a temporary staging
> area aka
> DESTDIR. Are you certain it is really that bad? What platform are we
> talking
> about that needs this?

I forget.  But it was not a single system.  Wild guess: AIX and SUNOS.

> If you want portability shouldn't you be using libtool
> instead of rolling your own?

The makefiles predate libtool.  Moreover libtool does not exist on all
platforms (so using it would not be portable).  I guess its existence
could be tested by the configure script.  How is libtool typically
used for software installation?