[gambit-list] "Contribute to Scheme module system" (Re: soc project idea)

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Mon Mar 31 10:14:23 EDT 2008

Hello Lispers of NYC

Sorry for coming so late to the game.

We've recently started an effort implementing a module system for Scheme
with the primary aim to be open to several modularization approaches. We
have written a page about this at:

http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Module_System

It's interesting to see the other module system proposals (Lexicons,
PLT-alike module system on CL, R6RS on Gambit). I think there could be
ways to benefit each other, or maybe even partly collaborating:

* Lexicons: especially the approach for lexical value capturing in
macros strikes me as interesting, we could try this out in our system,
too. Also the first class environment handling is interesting as being
very interaction centered.

* PLT-alike module system on CL: maybe a second student could work with
us on creating a port of that system with our guidance on top of our
current module infrastructure to Gambit. That would be a useful first
way to stretch our infrastructure and understanding and potentially even
deliver a way to run PLT-Scheme modules on Gambit. BTW: wondering why
you choose PLT, and not e.g. the Scheme-48 module system?

* R6RS on Gambit: a long term goal would be to run R6RS on top of / as
plugin of our generalized module system. Probably not so quick, though,
but it would be worthwhile to chat every now and then about what each
other's doing already during this summer.

Your feedbacks are welcome.

Christian.

PS. I'm away now for 4 hours, and then will read mail and be in IRC in
#gambit, #scheme, and #summeroflisp on freenode.