[gambit-list] Compiling Gambit programs under Windows...

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Fri Mar 28 05:35:12 EDT 2008

Philippos Apolinarius wrote:
> I would like to compile Gambit programs on Windows.  I have installed a minimum gcc, that I use to compile Lisp, Maxima,  Bigloo, Stalin, and other languages that compile through C. I tried to compile Gambit programs, to no avail. Here is what I have done:
>
> gsc test.scm
>
> This generates the file test.o1, that I can load from the interpreter. However, I cannot use interpreted code (or large distribution files, btw) for assignments.

test.o1 is *not* interpreted. It is compiled. (In case you don't believe
me, run  objdump -d test.o1.) Do not confuse this with loading compiled
code by making use of the interpreter (through the repl).

Maybe that still isn't acceptable for your assignments, but at least you
know from this that gcc is in fact working.

If the assignment rules are * enough to both forbid delivering a runtime
(the Gambit runtime) separately and to ask for files smaller than the
Gambit runtime, you'll be out of luck. (Well you could then check the
mailing list archives for how the Gambit runtime has been made smaller
for making the Nintendo DS port.)

>   The nex thing I tried was...
>
> gsc -link test.scm
>
> This gives me test.c test_.c. The manual says that I should compile these files, but do not tell how to do it for Windows (there are examples for Mac OS-X, and Linux). I tried:
>
> gcc -lgambc -lm test.c test_.c
>
> I get a large number of errors, and that is all.

I'm not using Windows myself, but why did you omit the most interesting
part, the error message itself?

Christian.