[gambit-list] Module System start up announcement

James Long longster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:12:59 EDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Joel Borggrén-Franck wrote:

> "and have discussed why hygienic macro systems rename symbols and that
> when using namespaces in the symbols, this might be enough as "rename"
> means, thus providing nice integration with preexisting
> namespace-using Gambit code."
>
> This seems interesting. Is there a chat-log, blog or paper
> describing this?

There's a wealth of information on hygienic renaming.  Two examples:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/109510.html
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/bawden88syntactic.html

As far as the renaming scheme goes, it seems somewhat arbitrary, as
long as you're able to recover the correct environment from the
renamed identifier (so Gambit namespaces might suffice, but there's
also an issue with hygienic "security").

Our discussions on this are scattered but you're welcome to read
through our brainstorms on the scheme channel (I have since done some
research and understand things better).

http://ircbrowse.com/channel/scheme/20080312#hour20

> Also I kind of assume you have read or at least know of "Composable
> and Compilable Macros" by Flatt a good read when you put together a
> "syntactic tower".

I have heard of it but have not read through it.  I will look through
it.

- James