[gambit-list] Gambit debug in Eclipse

William Cook wcook at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 16 23:10:50 EDT 2008

More progess on Eclipse/Gambit debug:

I modified the gambit sources to create a
hook allowing me to replace ##repl-within.
This works pretty well (works great for hitting
(step) calls in the code), but I can't get
real stepping (analogous to ,s and ,l) to
work. As expected, it is stepping into my
debug monitor code, rather than stepping through
the program being debugged. I can't tell how the
stepper decides what code to step or not step..
its pretty complicated.

Any hints?

William

William Cook wrote:
> Here's an update on the gambit debugging in Eclipse.
> I'm using DBGp (a debug protocol) and DLTK - the Dynamic
> Languages Toolkit for Eclipse.  It uses a TCP connection
> to connect to Eclipse, and it should support threads too.
> Its a little odd, but each thread has to manage its own
> debug connection.
>
> I have a working stack trace showing up in Eclipse.
> Now I just need to figure out how best to hook in Gambit
> so that whenever REPL is called form an exception, step or
> interrupt, that it will call my "dbgp-repl" instead of the
> standard one.
>
> I've been using it a little, and it is *wonderful* being
> able to just inspect stack frames and inside closures
> with a few clicks, rather than having to type stuff over
> and over again into the repl. More fancy tracing will also
> be possible. I keep reading this stuff about how Scheme
> doesn't need a debugger... and I just don't get it. I
> think everybody has just gotten used to not having one.
> A real debugger is going to be great.
>
> Anyway, I really need some *advice*. I'd like to just hook
> into an existing Gambit install, without having to make a
> custom build. If this is not possible, I can make a custom
> build.
>
> I am not sure if I can just redefine ##repl, that doesn't seem to
> work anyway. Any ideas?
>
> William

William Cook
Assistant Professor