[gambit-list] Thinking of changing pp

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 16:01:30 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> On 1-Jun-08, at 2:47 PM, David Rush wrote:
>
>> I can't help you here, but PP and PRETTY-PRINT are widely implemented
>> and have expected meanings to those of us who regularly use multiple
>> Scheme implementations, so I would suggest that you find a different
>> name, anyway.
>
> Is portability a real concern?  According to the Snow extio package Bigloo
> and MIT-Scheme use "pp" for pretty-printing, and don't define
> "pretty-print".  Nine other systems use the name "pretty-print", most of
> which don't define "pp".

Well, I used to use Bigloo a lot, but I haven't done a formal survey.
My standard compatibility prelude defines pp and pretty-print to be
identical across systems in just the same way it also defines call/cc
for those systems that implement only call-with-current-continuation.
So no, it's not a big deal, I just thought I'd mention it.

david rush
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt