[gambit-list] Thinking of changing pp

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Jun 1 15:49:41 EDT 2008

On 1-Jun-08, at 2:47 PM, David Rush wrote:

> I can't help you here, but PP and PRETTY-PRINT are widely implemented
> and have expected meanings to those of us who regularly use multiple
> Scheme implementations, so I would suggest that you find a different
> name, anyway.

Is portability a real concern?  According to the Snow extio package
Bigloo and MIT-Scheme use "pp" for pretty-printing, and don't define
"pretty-print".  Nine other systems use the name "pretty-print", most
of which don't define "pp".  So "pretty-print" would appear to be more
portable.  Moreover, Gambit's "pp" would still pretty print, but with
added labels.  One drawback is that you could no longer do (for-each
pp lst) because pp would be a special form.  Of course (for-each
pretty-print lst) would work.