[gambit-list] New wiki page "Using Gambit with External Libraries"

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Thu Jul 3 14:18:55 EDT 2008

Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> writes:

> On Jul 2, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>

>> Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Based on my previous e-mail, I started a new wiki page
>>>
>>> http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/
>>> Using_Gambit_with_External_Libraries
>>
>> Bradley,
>>
>> Thanks for putting this up.  I don't quite follow what this has to do
>> with your suggestion of compiling within interactive gsc using
>> compile-file.  On the wiki page you're compiling using gsc from the
>> command-line.  ????

[...]

> The main question is what you do with the .c file (that you almost
> never see if you use "compile-file").  Do you try to compile it
> yourself with gcc, and guess what the correct gcc options are on your
> specific combination of machine and OS and gambit system for:
> correctness, "sharedness" or non-sharedness (for lack of a better
> term), 32-bit or 64-bit, setting ieee arithmetic, or whatever other
> things could be screwed up on the gcc command line, and then use gcc
> to link it (with the same questions), or do you want to trust gsc to
> call gcc (or whatever your compiler is) to compile and link the files
> for you with all the correct options, figured out automatically at
> the time you configured gambit?
>
> I'd go with gsc doing it.

Given your explanation, me too; but can I get rid of the optimization?
It appears that's what was slowing my machine down.  Direct me to the
option for compile-file that controls optimization.

I'd rather do it all in Scheme, but not if my machine is going to freeze
up (and by the way, it hardly ever freezes up for anything).

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109