[gambit-list] New wiki page "Using Gambit with External Libraries"

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Wed Jul 2 16:40:25 EDT 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Joel J. Adamson wrote:

> Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> writes:
>
>> Based on my previous e-mail, I started a new wiki page
>>
>> http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/
>> Using_Gambit_with_External_Libraries
>
> Bradley,
>
> Thanks for putting this up.  I don't quite follow what this has to do
> with your suggestion of compiling within interactive gsc using
> compile-file.  On the wiki page you're compiling using gsc from the
> command-line.  ????

Because, as the fine manual notes, anything you can do on the command
line with gsc you can do with the gsc-specific scheme procedures
compile-file, compile-file-to-c, link-incremental, or link-flat.

I've a note at the end of the Using_Gambit_with_External_Libraries
page, with an example and a pointer to the correct section of the
online manual.

The main question is what you do with the .c file (that you almost
never see if you use "compile-file").  Do you try to compile it
yourself with gcc, and guess what the correct gcc options are on your
specific combination of machine and OS and gambit system for:
correctness, "sharedness" or non-sharedness (for lack of a better
term), 32-bit or 64-bit, setting ieee arithmetic, or whatever other
things could be screwed up on the gcc command line, and then use gcc
to link it (with the same questions), or do you want to trust gsc to
call gcc (or whatever your compiler is) to compile and link the files
for you with all the correct options, figured out automatically at
the time you configured gambit?

I'd go with gsc doing it.

Brad