[gambit-list] Qwaq releases Hydra multi-core Squeak VM « The

James Long longster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 22:39:53 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Christian Jaeger
<christian at pflanze.mine.nu> wrote:
>  Why would you love to see them exactly? What do you want to do?

Heh, well, one of my side projects is a high performance graphics
engine.  True parallel processing is becoming extremely important;
though I'm still not sure of the best way to achieve it.  Using STM
can incur high lock contention, but going with the Termite model
incurs quite a bit of overhead with serializing/deserializing,
copying, and TCP packet construction/destruction.  It's possible you
could avoid the TCP overhead for local processes using pipes of some
sort.

I don't know how native threads in Gambit would look, but it's bound
to be more efficient than separate processes.  I wouldn't have thought
Gambit could support native threads, but I was happy to read that on
the wish list, and someone must have some idea of how to achieve it.

--
James Long
Coptix, Inc.
longster at gmail.com