[gambit-list] Qwaq releases Hydra multi-core Squeak VM « The

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Mon Feb 25 17:01:54 EST 2008

James Long wrote:
> Native threads have been on Gambit's wish-list for a while.
>
> http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Wish_list#Native_.2F_pre-emptive_threads
>
> As the page states, "Support for multiple processes is good but pales
> in comparison to light weight, native, pre-emptive thread support."  I
> agree with this.  Haskell is able to schedule its threads on OS
> threads, but it's probably significantly more difficult to do that in
> Scheme because of mutation.  I am unqualified to offer a solution for
> native threading, but I would love to see them in Gambit if it's
> technically possible.

Why would you love to see them exactly? What do you want to do?

BTW both the Perl5.x and Python implementors have tried to make use of
pthreads, and I think both have failed at it. Python may have failed
more since (if I'm not wrong) their model will scale less, but Perl's
model is so slow and memory hungry that I'm never using it.

Christian.