[gambit-list] Namespaces

Matthew Flatt mflatt at cs.utah.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:48:49 EST 2008

At Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:10:02 -0500, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> Christian Jaeger <christian at pflanze.mine.nu> writes:
>
> > Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> >> Just to clarify, you're suggesting I use the Snow system _as a module
> >> system_?  That I write my libraries as Snow packages, etc?
> >
> > I have not yet written any Snow package yet, so I can't tell how well
> > that works for development (as opposed to distribution).
>
> Well, one of the reasons I switched from PLT Scheme was that PlaneT
> packages did not seem a good fit for distribution: any user would have
> to get PLT Scheme and PlaneT

That's not the case for module-based programs. When you create a
distribution (via DrScheme's "Create Executable" menu item or via `mzc
--exe' plus `mzc --exe-dir'), then all needed binaries, libraries,
Planet packages, etc., are assembled into the distribution. The end
user of a distribution won't have to download anything else or connect
to the Planet server.

Matthew