[gambit-list] Namespaces

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Tue Feb 12 15:21:27 EST 2008

Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> Just to clarify, you're suggesting I use the Snow system _as a module
> system_?  That I write my libraries as Snow packages, etc?

I have not yet written any Snow package yet, so I can't tell how well
that works for development (as opposed to distribution).

Of course you could wait a week or two until I've got an updated
chjmodule out the door and use that, but you might need to wait a bit
more until you can seemlessly load Snow packages from chjmodules (not
sure yet what it needs). And at the moment my intent with chjmodule is
implementing features and not stability, and this might sometimes mean
having to make incompatible changes--in any case, as long as it isn't
being discussed (other than leading monologues with myself), I'll just
go the path of the least resistance which means that I will just care
about not breaking too many of my own modules, or otherwise write
converters for their migration.

Whereas Snow may take backwards compatibility serious, so if you're
looking for that, it may give you a better service; although I don't
know how it can handle the mentioned define-macro namespacing issue, for
example. If you want the simplest and most stable approach and don't
care about portability right now, you might also just use Gambit
namespaces directly; maybe writing a converter to (a future version of)
Snow at some point is a fun experience after all for someone.

Christian.