[gambit-list] AWS, Termite, and Snow

Joe Hosteny jhosteny at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 11:17:24 EST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 1:07 AM, James Long wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2008 10:47 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> Of course it doesn't work!  You are mixing two different levels of
>> evaluation.  What you should have written is:
>
> Right.  I'll crawl back in my hole now :)
>

>> Note that the semantics you were expecting requires dynamic binding.
>> In other words, for the call to "eval", the caller's namespace
>> environment must be accessed by the callee (eval in this case).  This
>> inheritance of the namespace environment would be very messy.  For
>> example consider:
>
> I suppose I was thinking of something simpler where that ambiguity
> wouldn't exist - like passing an environment to eval as the third
> parameter.  However, I'll need more experience with evaluators before
> I can say anything more.
>
> Sorry if conversation was derailed - I hope the original poster got
> his questions answered.

I did. I've just been listening quietly!

Actually, I have an API for EC2 ready (though the implementation is
not finished). Would anyone care to critique the existing code for me
if I emailed it offline, or posted it somewhere?

The only two problems I've had so far are that timestamps of requests
are generated using a shell command call to 'date,' and XML response
parsing is going to be handled with SSAX. I noticed on the list that
there was some discussion about porting a srfi-19 implementation to
snow, as well as the SSAX library. Does anyone know if progress has
been made on either of these two? If not, I may be able to help with
srfi-19, but I think I'm still too fresh to be of much help for an
SSAX port.

--Joe