[gambit-list] AWS, Termite, and Snow

James Long longster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 01:07:02 EST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 10:47 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Of course it doesn't work!  You are mixing two different levels of
> evaluation.  What you should have written is:

Right.  I'll crawl back in my hole now :)

> Note that the semantics you were expecting requires dynamic binding.
> In other words, for the call to "eval", the caller's namespace
> environment must be accessed by the callee (eval in this case).  This
> inheritance of the namespace environment would be very messy.  For
> example consider:

I suppose I was thinking of something simpler where that ambiguity
wouldn't exist - like passing an environment to eval as the third
parameter.  However, I'll need more experience with evaluators before
I can say anything more.

Sorry if conversation was derailed - I hope the original poster got
his questions answered.

--
James Long
Coptix, Inc.