[gambit-list] open-input-file, read and fifos

Adrien Pierard pierarda at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Feb 1 16:57:03 EST 2008

> All of this to fix a stupid bug in
> Unix's open.

Sometime, years of evolution aren't enough ^^

> >Finally, I would like to know whether we could have a procedure
> >WITH-ERROR-TO-FILE to redirect the error port too.
> Can you give me a specific situation where you need this?  The
> standard error is seldom used by Gambit's runtime.  So all you will be
> redirecting is your own output which is sent to (current-error-port).

Must be my fault, but I use PP a lot, and as you told me once, it
doesn't print on STDOUT (rather on the TTY if I remember correctly, but
when I wrote this earlier today, I thought it was STDERR).

The point of this question, as well as the previous ones, is that I hack
vim a bit to let it run interpreters through a proxy, which then
remotely prints its results in windows.
When I feed it with
(begin
  (display 42)
  (newline)
  'hello)

I have 42 in the STDOUT window, and the symbol hello in the RESULT
window. Helps developping/debugging interpreted languages in vim.
I then hope that implementors of other interpreted languages (perl,
caml) or users will patch their implementations to allow for some
with-output-to-file wrapper around the eval function, so that this
method to interact with an editor can become generic. It could also help
run interpreters as daemons...

Adrien

--
"I am not a Church numeral; I am a free variable!"
(The Scheme Underground)