[gambit-list] Speed on XML-parsing

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Fri Aug 15 20:45:55 EDT 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Hans Petter Egesund wrote:

> Clues on this one?

SSAX isn't easy to build (my own private definition, for anything I
can't figure out how to build in 30 minutes or less--ah, it seems
I've proved incompetent at this before:

https://webmail.iro.umontreal.ca/pipermail/gambit-list/2006-October/
000882.html

), so it's going to be hard to offer suggestions.

If you have heavy-duty string processing you might enable Gambit with
--enable-char-size=1; the default is 4.

If you follow the thread spread between subthreads starting

https://webmail.iro.umontreal.ca/pipermail/gambit-list/2007-February/
001112.html

and

https://webmail.iro.umontreal.ca/pipermail/gambit-list/2007-February/
001125.html

you'll see that IO using read-char and write-char is slow; that's
hard to fix.

You can increase the minimum heap size with -:m100000 (to give it
100MB).

Good luck.

Brad