[gambit-list] Speed on XML-parsing

Hans Petter Egesund petter.egesund at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 19:08:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have some large xml-files which I have to parse, and I have used
latest Gambit + ssax on my 64-bit (now :-) computer, Linux.

My program parses my file in 150 seconds. After adding (declare (not
safe... ) and so on, and compiling with -02 I get it down to 140
seconds, tweaking ssax itself the same way gives me 115 seconds.

The parser is so far doing nothing - it just runs through the data.

Doing the same thing in Java takes about 3 secs, using expat from C
makes it 2 secs.

But my math works blazingly fast in Gambit.

Is there any thing I can do to make the xml-parsing faster?

I have found some papers that claim  ssax to be  as quick as expat
(http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/SSAX-benchmark-1.html) - as I have some
thousand of these files to parse, a speedup would really make a
difference.

Clues on this one?

Cheers,

Petter