[gambit-list] Using mercurial to update Gambit

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Wed Apr 23 17:46:40 EDT 2008

On Apr 23, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Marc Feeley wrote:

> On 23-Apr-08, at 4:53 PM, James Long wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get on the track of updating Gambit with mercurial.
>> Unfortunately I can't get it to work.
>
> My guess is that you did a manual "hg pull" and/or "hg update"
> *before* doing a "make update".  That's a no-no.  You should only use
> the "hg" commands if you know what you are doing, otherwise use "make
> update".  That's the price to pay for automating a complex bootstrap
> process.  If you are stuck, get the latest release of Gambit, untar,
> "make", "make bootstrap", and finally "make update".  If that doesn't
> work then there's a bug... please report it.

Marc:

I suggested before that "make update" should do a "make" *first* in
case a previous "make" failed.  Common scenario: download the gambit
sources, do "make", do "make update", which fails because the user
forgot to "make bootstrap".  One can copy by hand gsc/gsc to gsc-
comp, but then the next "make update" assumes that the previous
"make" *succeeded*, which isn't true.

So don't assume that the previous "make" succeeded, just do a new one
before "make update" does an "hg update" to the next correct revision
number (which may not be the tip, I know).

brad