[gambit-list] Wiki vandalism

Harold Ancell hga at ancell-ent.com
Sat Oct 13 11:50:35 EDT 2007

At 10:07 AM 10/13/2007, Stephane Le Cornec wrote:
>At 10:40 -0400 2007/10/13, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
>>On Oct 13, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>>
>>>  Anyone have a
>>>  suggestion on how to deal with this?
>>
>>Require a login, confirmed by email, to edit content?
>
>And/or changes from unregistered users have to be confirmed by a user.

Users have to be authorized by an administrator; Scheme Punks
was being hit by people/robots who created accounts (both are
standard MediaWikis, so there are standard attacks to match).

There are some existing sophisticated solutions out there, I can
check the Scheme Punks' mailing lists.

>Or blacklist IP addresse blocks,

Wack-a-mole, unless you want to start by blacklisting all of
East Asia (maybe minus Japan (lots of unprotected systems))....

>or even whitelist blocks with registered users.
>
>Is there a page to see recent activity?

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges

or http://tinyurl.com/2xb7zb

A standard MediaWiki feature, you can navigate to it from the main
page Special Pages link generally at the lower left.

                                        - Harold