[gambit-list] Installing Gambit-C on Windows using Visual C++ 7

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Aug 4 15:09:25 EDT 2007

On 4-Aug-07, at 1:03 PM, Kevin Brammer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to using Gambit Scheme.  I would like to be able to use
> Gambit Scheme with VC7.  So I am trying to install Gambit Scheme
> 4.0 beta 22 on Windows XP.  I have followed the instructions in the
> INSTALL file that came with the tarball and I was able to compile
> Gambit-C using VC7.  I notices that six.exe didn't seem to be
> included.  My main question is after I have the binaries compiled
> what is the proceedure for setting up the install directory?  I
> originally tried manually copying the binaries into (as I compiled
> the system in C:\Temp\Gambit-C\): C:\Gambit-C\4.0b22\bin; I copied
> the lib file into C:\Gambit-C\4.0b22\lib; and I copied the include
> file into C:\Gambit-C\4.0b22\include.  I then set up the following
> environment variables:
>
> INCLUDE=C:\Gambit-C\4.0b22\include;
> LIB=C:\Gambit-C\4.0b22\lib;
> PATH=C:\Gambit-C\4.0b22\bin
>
> I then wrote up the following file (hello.scm):
>
> (display "Hello World :)" )
>
> At the command prompt I entered:
>
> C:\Temp> gsc -link hello.scm
> *** ERROR IN ##parameterize -- No such file or directory
> (current-directory "C:\\lib")
>
> I think the following error has to do with location Gambit-C was
> compiled at, but I'm not sure.  As well if it is the error I'm not
> sure how to fix it.  I would appreciate any help I could get on
> this and the above issues as I would really like to be able to use
> Gambit Scheme.

There are several ways to solve this:

1) Add the C compiler flag -D___GAMBCDIR="C:/Gambit-C/4.0b22" when
you compile Gambit.  This will "burn" the Gambit installation path
into gsi.exe, gsc.exe, etc

2) Add the environment variable setting GAMBCOPT="=C:/Gambit-C/
4.0b22" .  This overrides the ___GAMBCDIR setting.

3) Wait a few days until I release the Gambit-C installer for Windows.