[gambit-list] Gambit-C Debian 4.0b20 Packages Available

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Sat Dec 2 02:03:13 EST 2006

"Guillaume Germain" <guillaume.germain at gmail.com> writes:

> Now somebody could include Gambit-C to the shootout for more benchmarking
> fun:
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Having a Debian package will help bring more users to Gambit.  Now, all that
> is still missing is a package/module system...  Hopefully we'll have it real
> soon now :)

    s/--use-singe-host/--enable-single-host/

Yeah, Gambit is a cool piece of software!

I made some changes in the file layout to align with Debian policy:

Gambit is installed in /usr/bin and /usr/lib.  There is a
/usr/lib/gambc4.0 directory which holds the Gambit library files (except
for the shared library, which is in /usr/lib).

To do this, I had to patch gsc/_gsc.scm link-incremental so it could
find /usr/lib/gambc4.0.  It would be nice if this could be parameterized
in the build somehow.

I took the liberty of introducing a soname: libgambc.so.4

The link chain in /usr/lib is now

/usr/lib/libgambc.so ->
/usr/lib/libgambc.so.4 ->
/usr/lib/libgambc.so.4.0.0  [the actual shared lib]

The shared lib package is libgambc4 (and libgambc4-dev)

The library binary packages are pulled in when the gambc binary is
installed.  However, if someone builds an app which uses libgambc4, they
can distribute it without the gambc package; it only needs libgambc4.

If Gambit isn't going to maintain backwards API compatibility for all of
version 4, let me know and I'll start using something like libgambc41 when
backwards compatibility is broken.

--
KBK