[gambit-list] Gambit-C 4.0 beta 15
feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Sep 12 01:22:21 EDT 2005
A new beta of Gambit-C 4.0 is now available in source form at this
Here's what's new:
- Threads are now structures that can be subtyped. The special
form "define-type-of-thread" can be used to define a subclass of
thread. The procedure thread-init! must be used to initialize
derived threads. For example
(define t (make-mythread 999))
(thread-init! t (lambda () (pp (mythread-myfield (current-
(thread-start! t) ; prints 999
- Each thread now has a mailbox. The procedure
(thread-send thread obj) adds obj to the end of the thread's
mailbox and (thread-receive [timeout [timeout-val]]) retrieves
the oldest message in the current thread's mailbox.
- The "ring" example has been reimplemented with mailboxes. A
"distributed computing" example has been added to show how mailboxes
and object serialization can be used to implement a distributed
computing system similar to Termite (see
- Improvements to compiler:
- Linking now accesses C files produced by the compiler in
the current directory (where the compiler put them!)
- Fixed variable conflict problem when using -debug option.
- Performs safe specialization of (equal? X Y) to (eq? X Y)
when X or Y is a fixnum, boolean, empty list, etc
- Fixed inlining problem with cadar and friends (sigh).
- Better expansion of +, -, *.
- For process ports:
- Added directory: setting for open-process.
- The executable of open-process is now searched using "PATH".
- Added (process-pid port) and (process-status port [default-value]).
- A socket opened with open-tcp-client opens the connection
in the background. Any connection error is reported at the
first read or write on the port.
- Added (timeout->time timeout).
- Added (host-name) and (user-name).
- Added X!Y to the infix syntax.
- Fixed bug in quasiquotation of an improper list constant.
- Improved performance of symbol and keyword hash tables when many
symbols and keywords are interned (e.g. "read"ing a file with a long
list of symbols).
- Added (make-uninterned-symbol name [hash]) and
(make-uninterned-keyword name [hash]).
- Improved hashing function in equal?-hash.
- The procedure make-table now honors the size: setting which
sets the initial size of the table.
- Fixed a bug in serialization/deserialization of closures and
continuations referring to code that accesses a global variable that
has not been defined in the deserialization environment.
- Added Windows implementation of open-process, file-info and file-
- Cleanup of lib/os.h and configure script to improve portability.
Gambit now compiles cleanly on Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX,
MinGW, and cygwin (and probably many other systems).
- Fixed cygwin bug in (copy-file source dest) when the files are
- Improved nonblocking I/O on Windows. Now I/O on sockets,
files, and processes only block the thread that requested the I/O.
- Fixed bug on MinGW which caused REPL I/O to be directed to an
More information about the Gambit-list