[gambit-list] Adding POLLs to C code

lucier at math.purdue.edu lucier at math.purdue.edu
Fri Dec 30 19:11:35 EST 2005

> On 12/28/05, Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> wrote:
>> Is there any way to add POLLs to C code?  There's a C library I'd
>> like to link to a program, but one C routine could possibly take
>> seconds or minutes to run, and Gambit disables interrupts except
>> through POLLs.
>
> You mean that you want an external library to be able to wait on a
> file descriptor (e.g. using select/poll)? (Speaking about "disabling
> interrupts" is confusing. Gambit is a user-land process and cannot
> disable interrupts)

Actually, no.  Gambit masks CNTL-C and allows interrupts only at fixed
points in the C code where the state of the Gambit Virtual Machine (GVM)
is well known, so if a GC happens things are OK, etc.  Gambit checks
whether an interrupt is waiting with the POLL macro in gambit.h; this is
what I meant by adding POLLs to C code.

Brad