[gambit-list] Suggest new option: -track-expanded-scheme

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Wed Dec 7 13:06:35 EST 2005

Marc:

In a recent project I've been doing a lot of work debugging and
trying to make sure that all code is covered by my tests.

-track-scheme is great when combined with options "-ftest-coverage -
fprofile-arcs" given to gcc, and then post-processing with gcov.
But, of course, it doesn't report on the execution of code generated
by macros, which my current project has a fair amount of.

Since gsc is already set up to output the macro-expanded source code
when it is given the -expansion option, I'd like to have an option

-track-expanded-scheme

that ties -track-scheme to -expansion, i.e., when compiling foo.scm,
it would output foo.scm.exp and insert into foo.c line number
directives for foo.scm.exp, and not for foo.scm as -track-scheme does
now.  This would really help people do test coverage of applications
that have a lot of macro-generated code.

Brad