[gambit-list] Installing Gambit on Win32

Bob McIsaac bobmc at fcibroadband.com
Tue Dec 6 12:25:02 EST 2005

Hi Schemers:

I would like to use Scheme with FFI in my work on embedded
systems. Gambit is appealing because it specifically mentions
serial ports and the code distribution is cleanly organized.

It installs easily on Linux but not on win98 which is my main
target.  There are options for various compilers in /misc. I
don't have the MKS toolkit so I tried the IDE builds for
Watcom and VC++ 4.  Neither worked since they look for
files gsi.c and _back.c which don't exist.  I also got compile
failures on MSYS/MinGW (but not sure it is installed correctly).

I suspect these IDE projects may have worked at some time
for a particular release but have not been kept current.  This
is a general problem for open-source, cross-platform projects
where the project manager may not have the resources to
recheck the legacy mail-ins from contributors.

I would like to use one of these win32 compilers:-
* OpenWatcom
* Borland C++ (the free one)
* BloodShed Dev-Cpp

If someone could provide a project file or simple Makefile,
I would be delighted and eternally grateful.

regards,
-Bob-

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler"
-- Albert Einstein