[gambit-list] srfi-13/14

ben at fuhok.net ben at fuhok.net
Thu Apr 7 23:55:25 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:55:10AM -0500, Bradley Lucier wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2005, at 10:47 PM, ben at fuhok.net wrote:
>
> >I also fixed a copy of small bugs --- hopefully I didn't introduce too
> >many in their place ;-)  I haven't tested these rigorously though.

s/copy/couple/

> It seems to be a bit difficult to extract the bug fixes (as opposed to
> the other changes) from your code.

Yes, and I didn't apply them to the originals as I fixed them.  In
retrospect, this was not smart.

> Could you list them separately?  I'd like to fix my versions of the
> libraries.

I attached some fixes that I fished out of the rather noisy diff.  I
think I got most of them.  The majority aren't really for `bugs', at
least not serious ones.  They mostly correct wrong function names in
your error macros.

I noted some discrepancy in argument order between the srfi-14 text
and Olin's reference implementation.  For those functions that take a
string and a `criterion', the srfi (usually) lists the order as
`string' `criterion', but the reference implementation often switches
them around.  The functions string-every and string-any are
exceptions:  the spec orders their arguments as `criterion' `string'.

I flipped several arguments around to match the srfi spec instead of
the reference implementation.

> BTW, the complicated way I defined my error-checking, etc., was to make
> it more compatible with built-in error checking in the Gambit runtime
> in the hope that these libraries could someday be integrated in the
> runtime (either officially or de-facto).

That thought occurred to me as I was working, but as I had already
started, I just plowed on.  I'll use mine until yours get integrated
into the Gambit distribution.

What advantage does the more complicated error checking have over the
simpler checking that I put in?  Is there more to it than just
consistency with the Gambit runtime?

Ben