[Lisa_teatalk] ICML Practice talk: Thursday June 2nd by Kelvin Xu

Jörg Bornschein bornj at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Jun 30 13:03:40 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

this Thursday Kelvin will present

Show, Attend and Tell: Neural Image Caption Generation with Visual Attention

which was accepted for this years ICML. Looking forward to see you there
and to get your feedback.

Location: AA-3195
Time: Thursday, July 2nd, 3:30pm

Abstract

Inspired by recent work in machine translation and object detection, we
introduce an attention based model that automatically learns to describe
the content of images. We describe how we can train this model in a
deterministic manner using standard backpropagation techniques and
stochastically by maximizing a variational lower bound. We also show
through visualization how the model is able to automatically learn to fix
its gaze on salient objects while generating the corresponding words in the
output sequence. We validate the use of attention with state-of-the-art
performance on three benchmark datasets: Flickr8k, Flickr30k and MS COCO.

   Jorg