[Lisa_teatalk] Tea-talk: Thursday, September 19 @ 1pm

Razvan Pascanu r.pascanu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 14:41:45 EDT 2013

Please join us for tomorrow's tea-talk by Cho. The room will be, as usual,
the lisa lab.

Speaker: Cho KyungHyun

Title: Neural Networks in Helsinki and Why I like RBMs

Abstract:
I will start the talk by briefly presenting research activities related to
machine learning and neural networks going on in Helsinki, especially that
of the department of information and computer science at the Aalto
University. From there on I will explain my interest toward restricted
Boltzmann machines and other unsupervised neural networks, which is based
on the observation that neural networks may be viewed as an excellent
machinery for approximating hierarchical probabilistic inference. In due
course, I will introduce two novel approaches for training Boltzmann
machines. At the end my current research direction focusing on recurrent
neural networks and their potential application to machine translation will
be discussed.

Razvan