[Lisa_teatalk] Reminder: Tea Talk Tomorrow

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:25:19 EDT 2011

Hi Gang,

This week we will have a tea talk by Christopher Pal and Pascal Vincent
about their recent vision work. Note the change in time and day. Hope to see
you all there.

Date & Time: Friday Sept 9th. 15h30 (It might start a little late as it will
be immediately after Guillaume's predoc oral exam).
Place: AA3195 (NOTE LOCATION CHANGE!)

Title: "Monitoring user states during gameplay"

Cameras, microphones, and heart-rate monitors have been installed to record
a player's attitude during Ubisoft gametests. We will describe the computer
vision processing pipeline and various machine learning approaches that we
have so far explored for the sake of analysing the face-facing camera data.
One goal of this work was to allow automatic detection of interesting events
(that is, mainly to detect when the user's facial expression displays a
state other than neutral). This is achieved with clustering and outlier
detection techniques and has been implemented in a Playtest data browser,
which will, among other things, greatly facilitate any future state/emotion
labeling efforts on this data. We will also give a brief account of the
various approaches that we explored for learning to classifiy facial
emotions based on publicly available labeled datasets. Finally the
presentation will open to a broader reflection on the potential for such
technologies to be incorporated in the future, not only to facilitate
playtest analysis, but also in original live game ideas.

Note: this is a practice for a presentation that will be given at Ubisoft.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron C. Courville