[Lisa_teatalk] Correction: Tea Talk Tomorrow (Friday)

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:20:17 EDT 2011

[Corrected title and abstract below]

Hi Gang,

Tomorrow we will have a tea talk by David Rim (PhD student of Chris
Pal) telling us about some recent vision work. Hope to see you all
there.

Where: LISA lab (AA3256)
When: Friday June 17th, 14h00

Title:

Realtime Performance-Based Facial Animation
Thibaut Weise, Sofien Bouaziz, Hao Li, Mark Pauly EPL
ACM Transactions on Graphics, Proceedings of the 38th ACM SIGGRAPH
Conference and Exhibition 2011, 08/2011 – SIGGRAPH 2011
http://lgg.epfl.ch/~weise/publications/papers/rpbfa_siggraph2011_small.pdf

Abstract:

This paper presents a system for performance-based character ani-
mation that enables any user to control the facial expressions of a
digital avatar in realtime. The user is recorded in a natural envi-
ronment using a non-intrusive, commercially available 3D sensor. The
simplicity of this acquisition device comes at the cost of high noise
levels in the acquired data. To effectively map low-quality 2D images
and 3D depth maps to realistic facial expressions, we intro- duce a
novel face tracking algorithm that combines geometry and texture
registration with pre-recorded animation priors in a single
optimization. Formulated as a maximum a posteriori estimation in a
reduced parameter space, our method implicitly exploits temporal
coherence to stabilize the tracking. We demonstrate that compelling 3D
facial dynamics can be reconstructed in realtime without the use of
face markers, intrusive lighting, or complex scanning hardware. This
makes our system easy to deploy and facilitates a range of new
applications, e.g. in digital gameplay or social interactions.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron C. Courville