[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk Tomorrow (Friday)

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:20:26 EDT 2011

Hi Gang,

Tomorrow we will have a tea talk by David Rim (PhD student of Chris
Pal) telling us about some recent vision work. Hope to see you all
there.

Where: LISA lab (AA3256)
When: Friday June 17th, 14h00

Title / Abstract:

Accurate and robust registration for in-hand modeling
Weise, T. and Leibe, B. and Van Gool, L.
Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2008. CVPR 2008. IEEE Conference on,
2008
http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~bleibe/papers/weise-inhandscanning-cvpr08.pdf

Abstract

This paper presents a system for performance-based character animation
that enables any user to control the facial expressions of a
digital avatar in realtime. The user is recorded in a natural environment
using a non-intrusive, commercially available 3D sensor.
The simplicity of this acquisition device comes at the cost of high
noise levels in the acquired data. To effectively map low-quality 2D
images and 3D depth maps to realistic facial expressions, we introduce
a novel face tracking algorithm that combines geometry and
texture registration with pre-recorded animation priors in a single
optimization. Formulated as a maximum a posteriori estimation in
a reduced parameter space, our method implicitly exploits temporal
coherence to stabilize the tracking. We demonstrate that compelling
3D facial dynamics can be reconstructed in realtime without the use
of face markers, intrusive lighting, or complex scanning hardware.
This makes our system easy to deploy and facilitates a range of new
applications, e.g. in digital gameplay or social interactions.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron C. Courville