[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk Tomorrow!

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 22:04:36 EDT 2010

Greeting,

This week Joseph Turian will talk about his recent ACL paper. Hope to
see you all there.

Date and Time: Thursday August 12th, 15h00
Location: LISA lab (AA3195)

Title and Abstract:

Word representations: A simple and general method for semi-supervised learning

If we take an existing supervised NLP system, a simple and general way
to improve accuracy is to use unsupervised word representations as
extra word features. We evaluate Brown clusters, Collobert + Weston
(2008) embeddings, and HLBL (Mnih + Hinton, 2009) embeddings of words
on both NER and chunking. We use near state-of-the-art supervised
baselines, and find that each of the three word representations
improves the accuracy of these baselines. We find further improvements
by combining different word representations. You can download our word
features, for off-the-shelf use in existing NLP systems, as well as
our code, here: http://metaoptimize.com/projects/wordreprs/

Cheers,
Aaron

--