[MSLUG] Upcoming meetings

Christopher Diggins cdiggins at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:59:09 EDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Etienne Laurin <laurieti at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 03:27:27PM -0400, Christopher Diggins wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'll second the nomination for hearing about the tetris experiment.
> >
> > On the subject of presentations, I am in the early stages of writing a
> > translator from Scheme to a statically typed functional stack-based
> > language. I would enjoy giving a short presentation on my project, to
> > talk briefly about the core issues being tackled:
> >
> > - How do types in a stack-based language differ from types in a
> > standard functional language like ML or Haskell?
> > - How do you implement and compute the type of call/cc in a
> > stack-based language?
> > - How do you share environment bindings in a type safe manner ?
> > - How do you infer the type of recursive combinators such as Y and M?
> >
> > I'd appreciate hearing if anyone has interest in such a presentation
> > (or suggestions about how to make it more relevant to the audience), I
> > don't want to make anyone suffer unneccessarily, even if only for 15
> > minutes. :-)
>
> I would be very interested in your presentation.

Thank you.

> Can you really cover
> all those topics in only 15 minutes?

Not in any great detail, but I expect it should be sufficient to
provide a high-level view of the problems and questions that are being
explored. The core problems I believe are fairly straightforward
(caveat, when you spend too much time with something it does become
less clear what is straightforward and what isn't). However I expect
that even such a short presentation, would generate some interesting
discussion.

> Etienne Laurin

Cheers,
Christopher Diggins