[Lisa_seminaires] Fwd: Computational Neuroscience Seminar this week

Yoshua Bengio yoshua.umontreal at gmail.com
Mer 14 Mar 13:58:30 EDT 2018

Interesting seminar Friday noon:

---
Guillaume Lajoie, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Maths & Stats | U. de Montréal
dms.umontreal.ca/~lajoie/

******
SEMINAR DETAILS
******
Where/when :
- Friday March 16, 12:00
- Salle 1120, Pavillon Paul-G.-Desmarais Université de Montréal 2960,
chemin de la tour

Title:
Theory of artificially driven cortical circuits: connectivity, function
and dimension of neural dynamics stimulated by implants

Abstract:
Recent developments in Bidirectional Brain­Computer Interfaces
(BBCI) not only allow the reading out of neural activity from
cortical neurons, but also the delivery of electrical signals. These
can drive neural dynamics and shape both connectivity and
function by influencing synaptic plasticity, thus opening the
possibility of engineering novel neural circuits, with important
applications for clinical treatments of spinal cord injuries and
stroke. However, synaptic and functional changes in recurrent
networks of neurons are hard to predict and understand: they
involve complex dynamic mechanisms on multiple temporal and
spatial scales. Based on experiments, I develop theoretical tools
and computational network models that serve as predictive tools
for BBCI protocols.
In this talk, I will first discuss a computational model for a
chronically implanted BBCI in non­human primate motor cortex
that artificially induces plastic changes. We show how the efficacy
of BBCIs is influenced by cortical activity statistics and we
propose state­based stimulation strategies for driving targeted
synaptic plasticity. Second, I will discuss recent findings that
uncover the neural effects of a hotly debated form of non­invasive
transcranial electric stimulation called tDCS (transcranial direct
current stimulation) and its influence on population coding in
cortex.