[Lisa_seminaires] [Tea Talk] Alexander Vezhnevets (Deepmind) Fri Mar 16 10:30AM AA1360

Michael Noukhovitch mnoukhov at gmail.com
Mar 13 Mar 12:24:21 EDT 2018

This week we are lucky to have *Alexander Vezhnevets*, research scientist
at *Deepmind,* giving a talk on *Friday March 16* at *10:30AM* in room
*AA1360*.

If you want to meet with Alexander in the afternoon, add your name and the
times you're free here: https://doodle.com/poll/6bbzqikmtx5nuktv

Navigate your way, by walking and taking the elevator, specfically moving
towards the elevator, taking the elevator down, exit the elevator, and
making your way to room 1360 to come to this funtastic talk!
Michael

*TITLE *What we want from (H)RL and other FuN topics

*KEYWORDS *Hierarchical Learning, RL, Compositional Learning

*ABSTRACT*Deep Reinforcement learning is making headlines. Superhuman at Go
and Space Invaders, possibly Starcraft next! Yet most of the state of the
art, human beating architectures are reactive and data hungry. They don’t
possess transferable skills, can’t break complex tasks into sub-task, plan
into the future or find more than one solution to a problem. Hierarchical
reinforcement learning is an area of research that aims to build agents
with complex, structured behaviour by endowing them with all of these
desired properties of intelligence.

In this talk we will review the recent progress in HRL and discuss one
model - FeUdal Networks - in more details. FeUdal Networks (FuN) is a
neural network architecture, which learns to decompose its behaviour into
meaningful primitives and then reuse them to more efficiently acquire new,
complex behaviours. This allows it to reason on different temporal
resolutions and thereby improve long-term credit assignment and memory.

*BIO*Alexander Vezhnevets is a research scientist at DeepMind working on
hierarchical RL. Originally from Moscow, he got his PhD in Machine Learning
from ETH Zurich, where he worked with Joachim Buhmann on structured output
learning. He then spent two years in lovely Edinburgh working on computer
vision with Vittorio Ferrari.