[Lisa_seminaires] [Tea Talk] Maximilian Puelma Touzel (ENS Paris) Thur Mar 1 10:30AM AA1360

Michael Noukhovitch mnoukhov at gmail.com
Lun 26 Fév 22:35:20 EST 2018

This week we have *Maximilian Puelma Touzel *from* Ecole Normale Supérieure
in Paris *giving a talk on *Thursday March 1* at *10:30AM *in room *AA1360*.

**New* *If you'd like to meet with the presenter, choose which time slots
work for you here (https://doodle.com/poll/2mxtkei7bnznht82) and we'll try
to make it work!

Guaranteed to be more fun than unboxing, come to the talk and be
illuminated!
Michael

*TITLE *Don’t paint the box black: Using dynamical systems to understand
the high-dimensional activity of cortex-inspired neural networks

*KEYWORDS *biological NNs, learning dynamics, systems analysis, statistical
physics

*ABSTRACT*The dynamics of cortical circuits are thought to be responsible
for much of the learning in higher vertebrates. Over the last decades, a
data-driven theoretical effort in neuroscience has sought to understand the
collective dynamics of 'task-ready' cortical activity. In this talk, I will
first recount the work that led up to the first self-consistent mean-field
theory of such activity in 2010. Employing a long-standing framework from
dynamical systems and statistical physics suited for characterizing
information processing in high-dimensional dynamics, subsequent work has
focussed on understanding the properties of the underlying full spiking
network dynamics. I will describe some of these approaches, and present
original work that analytically treats the complex phase space geometry of
a multi-stable regime exhibited by these models. The outlook for this
general framework looks bright as we more broadly seek to elucidate
high-dimensional learning dynamics in a variety of systems, both biological
and machine.

*BIO*
Maximilian Puelma Touzel is a theoretical biophysicist interested in
understanding how learning systems build and adapt representations of their
environment. He studied math and physics at the University of Toronto and
then theoretical neuroscience at the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and
Self-Organization in Göttingen, Germany, receiving a PhD there under the
supervision of Fred Wolf. Currently, he is a post-doctoral fellow working
on inference of probabilistic models of immune repertoire change with
Aleksandra Walczak and Thierry Mora in the Laboratoire de Physique
Théorique at the Ecole Normale Supérieure in Paris.