[Lisa_seminaires] [Tea Talk] Abhishek Das (Georgia Tech) August 17 2018 10:30 AA3195

Michael Noukhovitch mnoukhov at gmail.com
Lun 13 Aou 16:54:44 EDT 2018

This week we have *Abhishek Das * from * Georgia Tech (and currently
interning at FAIR Montreal) * giving a talk on *August 17 2018* at *10:30*
in room *AA3195*

Will this talk be streamed <https://mila.bluejeans.com/809027115/webrtc>?
yes
Want to meet the speaker? Sign up here
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UVBVTVF0X25Nd09LfGRlZmF1bHR8ZWQ5MmNlYWMxODI4OWVkNmUzNGU3OTE4ZDExMGI0YTk>
☕ talk ->🚶to 3195
Michael

*TITLE* Connecting Vision and Language to Actions

*KEYWORDS *language understanding, VQA, embodied agents

*ABSTRACT*
Building intelligent agents that possess the ability to perceive the rich
visual environment around us, communicate this understanding in natural
language to humans and other agents, and execute actions in a physical
environment, is a long-term goal of Artificial Intelligence. In this talk,
I will present some of my recent work at various points on this spectrum in
connecting vision and language to actions; from Visual Dialog (CVPR17,
ICCV17, HCOMP17) -- where we develop models capable of holding free-form
visually-grounded natural language conversation towards a downstream goal
and ways to evaluate them -- to Embodied Question Answering (CVPR18) --
where we augment these models to actively navigate in simulated
environments and gather visual information necessary for answering
questions.

*BIO*
Abhishek Das is a Computer Science PhD student at Georgia Institute of
Technology, advised by Dhruv Batra, and working closely with Devi Parikh.
He is interested in deep learning and its applications in building agents
that can see (computer vision), talk (language modeling), act
(reinforcement learning), and reason. He is a recipient of an Adobe
Research Fellowship and a Snap Research Fellowship. He has held internship
positions at Queensland Brain Institute (Winter 2013, Winter 2014),
Virginia Tech (Fall 2015) and Facebook AI Research (Summer 2017, Winter
2018, Summer 2018). He graduated from Indian Institute of Technology
Roorkee in 2015 with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.