[Lisa_seminaires] [Extra Tea Talk] Berton Earnshaw (Recursion Pharmaceuticals) Mon Aug 6 12PM AA3195

Michael Noukhovitch mnoukhov at gmail.com
Jeu 2 Aou 21:53:11 EDT 2018

Early next week we have an extra talk by *Berton Earnshaw*, Senior Director
of Data Science Research at *Recursion Pharmaceuticals* giving a talk
on *Monday
August 6 2018* at *12pm - 1pm* in room *AA3195.* This will be a lunch talk
and mingle with *food served!*

Will this talk be streamed <https://mila.bluejeans.com/809027115/webrtc>?
Yes

Want to meet with Berton in the afternoon?
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UVBVTVF0X25Nd09LfGRlZmF1bHR8ZWQ5MmNlYWMxODI4OWVkNmUzNGU3OTE4ZDExMGI0YTk

Come for the food and machine learning, stay because the talk will be
awesome.
Michael

*TITLE *Representation learning in human cellular biology

*KEYWORDS* bioinformatics, representation learning

*ABSTRACT*
The automated labs at Recursion Pharmaceuticals currently run more than
100,000 experiments every week, and each experiment involves imaging the
morphology of human cells under various biological and chemical
perturbations. The resulting data set is the largest and most diverse of
its kind, and is used to train networks that learn to predict which
compounds treat which diseases, and why. In this talk, I will describe the
challenges of learning on biological image sets, discuss some approaches we
have taken to learning representations of these images, and describe how we
use these representations to discover candidate treatments for disease.

*BIO *
Berton earned a PhD in math from the University of Utah in 2007, where he
designed biophysical models of protein trafficking at synapses during
episodes of learning and memory formation. In 2010, after two post-docs at
Utah and Michigan State University spent developing the theory of
non-autonomous master equations, Berton took some time off of academia and
co-founded the call center software company Perfect Pitch where he led as
CTO. In 2012 he joined the founding team of Red Brain Labs as Director of
Operations and Data Science, where he worked to optimize call centers using
machine learning and simulation. In 2014, Red Brain Labs was acquired by
Savvysherpa where, as a Senior Scientist and Principal, Berton led various
research projects applying machine learning to insurance claims and medical
records with the goal of improving healthcare outcomes. In 2017, Berton
joined Recursion Pharmaceuticals as Senior Director of Data Science
Research, where he leads the research team in applying deep learning to
millions of images of human cells in search of treatments for hundreds of
diseases.

*COMPANY BIO*
At Recursion Pharmaceuticals, we have raised over $80M to apply machine
learning to one of the most unique datasets in existence - tens of millions
of images of cells under a huge number of biological and chemical
perturbations, generated in our own labs - in order to find treatments for
hundreds of diseases. Our long term mission is to decode biology to
radically improve lives - we want to understand biology so well that we can
fix most things that go wrong in our bodies.