[Lisa_seminaires] [Tea Talk] Clement Farabet (NVIDIA) Mon Oct 9, 2pm, Claire-McNicoll Z-209

Michael Noukhovitch mnoukhov at gmail.com
Mar 3 Oct 14:01:48 EDT 2017

Next week, we have a flurry of tea talks and it all starts with VP of AI
infrastructure at NVIDIA, *Clement Farabet* on *Monday October 9th *at *2pm*
at *Pavilion Claire McNicoll room Z-209*.

There will be a *small social *after the event so you can talk directly
with NVIDIA researchers! NVIDIA has also been incredibly kind and will
bring *FREE FOOD* as well as hold a *RAFFLE!* I don't know what the raffle
is for, but will leave it your imagination ;)

This is an awesome event, and hope everyone can make it! If you plan to
attend, please sign up on their eventbrite link:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mila-tea-talk-tickets-38158869205

*KEYWORDS *Infrastructure, Self-driving Cars, Domain Transfer

*TITLE*

Deep Learning Research at NVIDIA

*ABSTRACT*

NVIDIA is the leading platform for Deep Learning research and invests in a
broad range of research projects within key industries, such as graphics
and self-driving cars. In this talk I will discuss a few of our projects
in-depth: from leveraging synthetic data to reduce our need on data;
ray-tracing for real-time virtual worlds; auto face animation for game
designers; and auto image transforms for photo editing. I will also talk
about how we apply this research work into a product and operate a
fast-moving R&D team to build autonomous vehicles.

*BIO*

Clement Farabet is VP of AI Infrastructure at NVIDIA. His team is
responsible for building NVIDIA's next-generation AI platform, leveraging
NVIDIA's hardware to enable a broad range of new applications, ranging from
self-driving cars to medical imaging. Clement Farabet received a Master’s
Degree in Electrical Engineering with honors from Institut National des
Sciences Appliquées (INSA) de Lyon, France in 2008. His Master’s thesis
work on reconfigurable hardware for deep neural networks was developed at
the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences of New York University with
Professor Yann LeCun, and led to a patent. He then joined Professor Yann
LeCun’s laboratory in 2008, as a research scientist. In 2009, he started
collaborating with Yale University’s e-Lab, led by Professor Eugenio
Culurciello. This joint work later led to the creation of TeraDeep (
www.teradeep.com). In 2010, he started the PhD program at Université
Paris-Est, co-advised by Professors Laurent Najman and Yann LeCun. His
thesis focused on real-time image understanding/parsing with deep
convolutional networks. The main contributions of his thesis were
multi-scale convolutional networks and graph-based techniques for efficient
segmentations of class prediction maps. He graduated in 2013, and went on
to cofound Madbits, a company that focused on representing, understanding
and connecting images. Madbits was acquired by Twitter in 2014. At Twitter,
he cofounded Cortex, a team of software engineers, data scientists, and
research scientists dedicated to developing state-of-the-art machine
learning capabilities to refine and enable new products. He subsequently
lead and managed a team called Cortex Core, which focused on building a
high-leverage modular machine/deep learning platform to power every aspect
of the Twitter product (recommendation systems, search, timeline ranking,
etc.). This team focused on (1) developing models of text, images, video,
users, and (2) making these models seamlessly importable as components of
user-facing ML systems.